Tuesday, January 3, 2017 / 27 Comments
Top 8 Ways to Clean with Vinegar
One of my "favorite" cleaning products is white vinegar. My grandma used it and so did my great-grandma and they passed it down to my mom who passed it down to me. If you want it can be the only cleaning product you may ever need. It's really that powerful, economical and even better it's all natural.
The uses really are endless.
I'm going to show you the top 8 ways I use vinegar to clean around my home:
1. To Clean Hard Water Stains. - We have well water and don't use filters which means our water is super hard. There is gunk everywhere. The most affordable way to clean the faucets and shower heads is to dip them in a bowl of vinegar. I hold the bowl of vinegar up to the faucets for a minute or two and then use a light scrub brush to clean it off and wipe it off with a rag and voila....they look like new.
2. To Dust. - If you take a spray bottle and fill half of it with vinegar and the other half with water, just shake it up and spray onto a dust rag or cloth diaper and voila....you made your own dust spray.
3. To Clean Windows - Use the same formula and bottle and spray it on your windows and wipe them down with newspaper. Newspapers don't leave streaks. You will love it. Then I recycle the newspaper to my compost bin.
4. To Clean my No -Wax Floors. - I have no wax floors in some areas of the house and it works great when I dump 1 cup of vinegar into a gallon of warm water and mop. It's very shiny.
5. To Prevent Mildew. - Mildew is real where we live and one way I prevent it is to spray down the bathtub enclosures, tile and around the sink with my spray bottle solution of half vinegar and half water.
6. To Clean the Kitchen Sink. - I don't know about you but I can't stand when an odor is coming out of the kitchen sink. I pour 1 cup of vinegar down the drain and let it sit for at least an hour or more and it eliminates the odor.
7. To Clean my Oven. - Yes, I have a self-cleaning oven but it costs a fortune and it stinks to turn on and it's dangerous to use and I don't want my family exposed to those chemicals. I take a bowl of water and dump in a cup of vinegar and some paper towels and soak down the inside of my oven and use the paper towels to wipe it out. It works great and it doesn't stink.
8. To Make My Own Febreeze. - Mix 1/4 cup vinegar, 3/4's cup water and 8 drops of lemon essential oil and mix it together in a spray bottle and use it as a homemade air freshener. It usually is good for up to 1 week.
Bonus Idea: Switch out the kind of essential oil you use for different scents. You can use lavender, orange and thieves.
So save a fortune this year on cleaning products and feel good about what your family is using around the house.
For more ideas on homemaking go here.